For pupils to be avid readers, confident writers and effective communicators
- Focus on phonics and systematic teaching of reading throughout the school
- Reading Reconsidered provides a structured approach to reading and high quality texts
- Writing is embedded in rich experiences and challenging subject matter
- Planning, feedback and assessment is closely linked to challenge misconceptions and move learning on
- Audience and purpose, alongside composition and effect, are key elements of all English planning
- Children are confident and fluent readers and can use reading as a tool to develop themselves intellectually, culturally and socially.
- Children are articulate speakers who effectively use the spoken language to communicate their ideas and values, whilst being able to listen to those of others.
- Children use ambitious vocabulary and creativity to convey their ideas in their written work, adapting their writing to meet the needs of the audience and purpose.